Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Real Following Imaginary

Ron and Paul with an iPad
My imagination was largely true this time. Having experience recovering from an aphasic stroke, when I detected in Paul  almost immediately was that he was more aware than most, stroke or not.

Because his communication was affected by his stroke, the folks I have met that know him do not see the degree to which this is true. My aphasia and its “silver lining”  make me extra sensitive to how neuroplasticity responds to brain injuries like his and mine.

As I said before, memories are clearer and more nuanced than before, the clot got caught in my brain and made part of it die. In August, in will be three year since my stroke.

As the documentary, My Beautiful Broken Brain recorded, Lotje Sodderland could sense her brain making new connections when she had time to be quiet after her hemoragic stroke.

I too, had that experience. It was better that I looked inward (by being quiet). What was left of my brain was “telling” me how best to proceed.

I have been involved in ’tech’ for most of my life so I was aware the ‘bicycle for the brain’ (Steve Jobs) and how much it could help me in building my new brain. Paul is interested in using an Apple device that we recommend to him.

Because of the rapport Paul and I established, chances are very good that we can collaborate on the stuff he needs to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment