Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Managed Fervor

Trusting friends IS better.
"Would you have me not call out a few who have hurt so many to make your social life easier?"

The ensuing pause, in stark contrast to the rapid responses earlier in the exchange. The signal that the robotic routine had been successfully interrupted.

How different, from interaction amongst friends about non-controversial issues. And what about one or more parties to the conversation not even being aware of a carefully hidden bias chain.

"I asked if she cared. She look startled at the question and then assured me carefully that she did."

"Then I thought to myself that someone had 'gone to bat' for me recently without even knowing how it would be perceived by people persuaded to doubt good intentions that were in conflict with their own assumptions."

Productive conversations can have twists and turns, moments of doubt and dissonance. They often do. The courage to forge ahead and mutual respect born of authentic bonds usually win the day, though.

© 2011 Buzz Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment